Woffling On

Saturday, September 24, 2005

I Still Need to Delegate or Outsource

Things were looking brighter there for a short while when my son was able to help out. He does such fantastic work, and he's blazingly fast. Ahh.. to be younger hey? Well, I'm into anti-aging and know the real benefits but it still doesn't make me as effective as my son when it comes to moving through projects.

So, what can be done? The obvious choices are:

  • Drop some projects to reduce the total workload
  • Change the schedules to reduce the workload to a more manageable level
  • Critically evaluate the workload components and restructure to simplify
  • Delegate some objectives to spread the workload, lowering mine
  • Outsource some of the workload altogether
It boils down to reducing volume, extending time, working smarter or somehow offloading. Far from being willing to drop any project, I already have additional projects in mind. This also makes extending the time less attractive since a quicker clear-up rate is desirable to open the way to new projects.

Each of the bottom three on the above list is sensible enough but requires at least a temporary diversion of effort. There is an on-cost in workload terms associated with implementing any and all of them.

Assuming I decide to bite the bullet, so to speak, and attempt to outsource, where do I start? I know how to locate outsourcing agencies but do I really want to deal with them? I don't think so, to be honest. So do I simply look someone up in the phone book? Nope, the work is to specialized. Advertise then? Gosh, it all starts to look like another project has crept in by stealth!

Well, it looks like I just have to press on. I had best stop woffling and get back to work. Big breath...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home