Woffling On

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Google Who?

Well I understand that Google has performed its most recent updating of Page Rank values. Good for them. But, who are they? What are they? And why should I care?

Sounds like... yes, guess who didn't fare well in the last round of updates. Well, to be clear, it wasn't a big deal. The token PR 1 that my home page of just one site had been given as a new find, has vanished. My new ranking is therefore zero. Big deal.

But, hmmm this Google thing is a trifle weird if you ask me. I can't make any real sense of it. Yes, I do read and have actually quite a good understanding of the pros and cons of having a Google experience. I can calculate page rank according to the most widely circulated methods and I quite appreciate the vaue of Google SERP placement. But so what?

Not just to feel in good company, I simply have to acknowledge that far more people think they know how the big G's page ranking works than do in fact actually know. There's far too many self-professed Google experts who make up for quite a lot of gaps in their understanding of Google with a little creative licence. Net result: they parrot a lot of twaddle.

As I have said before, Google is quite overrated. Many internet marketers, those who actually do make their living online, gave up on working out Google a long time ago. I regularly hear them say "forget Google". I think they worked out that if Google had its way, it would not be a case of working out Google, but working for Google!

I can understand their point of view. Certainly I would agree that only a fool would base their online existence on pleasing Google. The big G is a multinational corporation now and has its own masters and its own agenda. To a mere mortal caught up in the web, Google could appear quite capricious. It is certainly not a sure foundation for any serious web based activity.

Add to this the observation that a multitude of so-called SEO "experts" and others we won't even bother labelling actually spend their lives hacking Google or in some means tricking the beast and it becomes even easier to realise that worrying too much about Google is a total waste of time.

Anyway, that will be quite enough woffling for now. I have to go and hide from the Google secret police, they're bound to track me down from this little post. I hear they're quite sensitive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home