Woffling On

Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Domain Saga

Almost unbelieveably the troublesome remaining two domain names are still not resolving correctly. This is taking just waaaaay to long.

I did have to escalate the support ticket at Aplus.net and they took that quite well. I admit to being mildly annoyed by their first email that included a patronising paragraph explaining that I could do the name server resetting myself using my control panel. Some people just don't listen, let alone think. The problem is that system isn't working! I had already used it several times and although it happily gave confirmation messages reassuring that the updates were successful, nothing actually changed.

Finally, through all the denials and assumptions, one tech support guy has spotted something wrong that is causing my problem, at least with one of the domains. It turns out that even though the names of the new name servers were correctly updated, as my message confirmed each time, the registry details incorrectly associated the new names with the old IP address. So some how they need to fix that and then - one can only hope - find the cause of this bug and eliminate it.

Finding good tech support can be a challenge. I have no doubt that some of the staff at Aplus.net are quite capable, but I'm not so sure about the work culture of the place. When evidently capable people just can't get things sorted out in a timely fashion, something in the place isn't right.

I normally buy my web domain names at Godaddy. I have purchased some from a couple of other places though. For instance, I purchased a .com.au domain from a hideously expensive Australian provider several years ago and I purchased one domain from Tucows via SiteSell, with my SBI! hosting package.

This foray with Aplus won't be extended. Most likely I will stick with Godaddy.com in future, though I may give namecheap a try.

The fact is that the domain name market has had a good shakeup. The prices a few years ago were ridiculous. If you're paying more than US$10 per year for a domain name then you are paying too much. Godaddy certainly has been significantly responsible for shaking things up, so for that I guess they deserve a fair amount of business. They seem to get it too.

Many of the sellers today are really resellers. They are almost on every street corner in cyberspace and you may be sure that more are coming. That's alright in as much as it will increase pressure on the sellers who still maintain prices at the high end of the market. They won't do too much about the bottom end though because as resellers they can't get wholesale rates that are much below the retail rates of the big players, like Godaddy for instance.

As this little saga reveals though, choosing somewhere to buy domain names purely on the basis of price alone, may not be a very good idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home