Woffling On

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sorting Out Blogger Qwerks

There are definitely some qwerks with blogger's performance. I won't call them bugs out of respect for the good folk who provide this incredible service for free.

Actually, some of the drama relates to the use of a style sheet template for the blog. With simple text posts (the planned use really) there are no problems. The template provides rules that result in the text being marked up and displayed in the expected and chosen fashion.

There are problems however, when posting preformatted text. Whatever the formatting is, becomes overridden or reinterpreted to some extent by the rules in the template (ie in the style sheet characteristics). So, for example, when I post by email and send preformatted HTML, it becomes distorted by the template-imposed style characteristics.

Yesterday, when I emailed my post with the web camera details, it screwed up my whole blog page. The block was just too wide for the template to handle and it forced a misalignment of the columns in the template. On spoting this I deleted the post and reformatted the material before sending it again. Sure enough, by forcing my emailed material into a table to constrain its width to 400 pixels, the problem was solved and the page template worked again.

However, that was not quite the end of the learning curve. At first the page was fine. But today when I again looked at the emailed post, it was microscopic! The template style imposed new percentages to the text size, relative to normal page text size as set in the template. This made the text way too small to read. I fixed this (at least it appears fixed enough for now) by editing the HTML for the post and replacing all the 85% sizes with 100%. This still isn't up to full size, but it will do for now. I figure that it may well "break" some more yet, so I'll watch and see what happens.

I also had to edit the template to remove the borders it placed automatically around every image. I found them distracting and unhelpful, so it was an easy matter to simply remove them. That's a benefit of using a style sheet of course. Instead of having to edit every image or page or post, a simple adjustment to a line or two in the style sheet and all images are how I want them.

Now, back to just one more bug, errr, sory... qwerk that I want to sort out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home