Woffling On

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Body Mass Index Calculators

I published some body mass index (BMI) calculators in The Health Gazette Ezine edition for November 2005 just a short while ago and was disappointed to discover that they didn't work in my mail applications.

Indeed, I discovered that some mail system filters were alarmed to discover forms inside the HTML formatted emails and blocked them from delivery. Oh the joys of internet publishing.

Actually I'm a little bit annoyed with myself. I should have known better. I do vaguely recall that I knew about this problem, but seem to have forgotten (or did I just ignore) it at the time.

Now I'll have to program a little application and send it to my subscribers. Not a big problem at all for me, but it's a shame I will have disappointed some subscribers with a dud tool in their latest edition.

Let's just see if I can get the tools working here, in my blogger blog. That'll be a bit of fun.




Here is your very own BMI calculator for adults. Enter the required height and weight measurements and click "Calculate".

English Calculation






















Height: feet
and inch(es)
Weight: pounds
(Note: 8 ounces = 0.5 pounds)


Your BMI:

Interpretation
BMI Value Weight Status
Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5 – 24.9 Normal
25.0 – 29.9 Overweight
30.0 and Above Obese

Widely employed as a standard to determine obesity, Body Mass Index (BMI) is calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms or pounds by your height in meters squared or feet and inches squared. A Body Mass Index between 18.5 and 24.9 is ideal. People with a BMI between 25 and 29.9 are overweight and a BMI greater than 30 indicates obesity. Being overweight increases the chances of serious health risks like heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure.

Body Mass Index is not a foolproof measurement. Though muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, BMI calculation doesn't recognize the difference between muscle and fat. This can seem to penalize people who work out at the gym. For those who lead more sedentary lives and don't have large relative muscle bulk, BMI can be a useful first indicator of general fitness.

Well, I don't know if the BMI calculator form will work or not. The JavaScript is in the template header, so we'll just have to have a go and see what happens. If you try and it doesn't work, sorry about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home