Woffling On

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Australian ISP Choice is Made

After some pretty exhaustive, not to mention exhausting, searching the choice is made. And the winner is... (c'mon, drum roll please) iiNet. Yep, that's the one, iiNet.

Now if you want to check them out remember the .au on the domain name. They can be found at http://www.iinet.com.au and if you leave of the .au you'll end up at the wrong place.

One attraction is certainly the fact that I can give the flick (oh, that's Aussie slang for get rid of or be done with or sack, etc) to Telstra, the monstrous telco. That will feel pretty good actually since they have ripped me off quite a lot over the years.

The new ISP bundles phone company services, including my physical line rental, all calls (local, long distance and international), with internet access and adds a second VoIP line for free . The internet access uses standard ADSL, since my exchange isn't equipped for ADSL2 yet. The speed will be 1500/256 which will be quite fast compared to my current 256/64. And a far cry from the performance of my little 28.8 modem that was in service just over 12 months ago!

One perk is that all VoIP calls between iiNet customers are free. This will be handy since my daughter and her husband will also be switching to iiNet. The VoIP service from iiNet is at the top end, providing consistent CD quality sound (or so they claim, I obviously haven't tried it yet).

All in all I am quite pleased with the decision. I won't implement it until later next month, to coincide with my billing cycle with my current ISP and to allow the necessary lead time for the changeover. I have to get that right or I would be without internet access.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home