Woffling On

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Signs of Life in Google Page Rank

Well, I must admit, I had all but given up hope that my sites would ever obtain any of the highly prized Google PR. My view had become, c'est la vie, too bad so sad, move on. Secretly, I wondered if my server had been banned for the transgressions of others I must be sharing it with.

However, it would appear that all hope is not lost. Four of my sites suddenly developed some PR yesterday. I didn't mention it then because I wondered if I was dreaming. Perhaps, I thought, it will all be gone again tomorrow.

But no, it appears to be hanging around. My newest site has PR on just the index page. My other three have some PR on several pages each, though none yet seems to have penetrated to level 3 pages (that is, those two clicks from the index page) and one still has none showing on its index page, which seems a bit odd.

Now that I know PR can reach my sites [;-) I can comment on the values. From what I have determined by reading on the net, at least some of my pages should indeed have higher values than they presently do. However, I think it best not to second guess Google, so I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over this.

Maybe by the next round of updates I will score better. Who knows?

The fact is, I've learnt my lesson when it comes to Google page rank. It's this: don't concentrate on it or give it much thought. If sites are built intelligently and linked within the net based on honest meaningfulness, Google will eventually catch up and may sort its algorithms out. If not, well, there's not really a whole lot that can be done about it, so it's best not to be too bothered by it all.

The people who get very het up about this are the so-called and self-appointed SEO "experts" and everyone they can whip up into worrying about it (so they can part them from their money to "improve" their page rank). Frankly, I think that's a mug's game. It's certainly not one I want to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home