Woffling On

Monday, March 06, 2006

Alexa Ranking Update for 6 March 2006

Well I finally have something to add to this ongoing tracking report. It turns out that the Blogger people have begun to tackle the spam problem in a more aggressive way. Aggressive, I hasten to point out, in the best possible way.

They have developed a blogger scanning algorithm that detects patterns in blog posts that tend to be associated with blog spam. That's a jolly good idea in my opinion. It is very good news that they are taking the battle right up to the spammers.

Actually, I recall being critical of them on this very point quite some time ago when I suggested that Google had mixed motives when it comes to spammers who promote Adsense. I expect they have been trying to come up with suitable spammer blocking approaches all along. After all, not all spammers promote Adsense.

Anyhow, Woffling On was flagged by the new anti-spam algorithm as a blog that portrayed spam attributes. I was shocked until I read the Blogger explanation. Then I understood what had happened. It is these regular tracking updates that had caused the problem.

Evidently the scanning algorithm found these updates as boring as I do! To the algorithm they are just repetitive posts of the same links to sites. In truth, they could easily be seen as just that. I felt quite uncomfortable, as though I had been doing something naughty.

However, there is a reason for these regular posts, as anyone silly enough (sorry ;-0) to read them knows. I am tracking the rise and fall of my little empire of health sites. It is rather repetitive and they do indeed always point to the same sites, naturally. So, what am I to do?

As it turns out, I requested a review by Blogger - by a human reviewer that is - and waited to see what would happen. Would I be labelled a spammer? It was entirely possible I thought, and though I would have felt it was totally untrue, I would have at least known that it was these updates that had been my undoing.

Fortunately, the review happened quite quickly and I was deemed acceptable. The poor reviewer who had to read my posts! So I have been "whitelisted" and am not required to enter a special text code to make every post (not that this would have bothered me since I do already log in manually to make every post anyway). It is indeed reassuring to know that I'm doing nothing wrong in posting the Alexa ranking saga.

However, this does seem like a good point to at least pause. After this update today I will cut the posts back to, say, monthly, or something like that. I can always post an immediate update if there are any major ranking changes.

So here we go, an update for today and probably the last one for March.

www.The-Health-Gazette.com moved up from: 84,307 to: 81,071 (59,117)

www.Healthy-Vitamin-Choice.com moved up from: 135,008 to: 132,428 (75,943)

www.Herb-Health-Guide.com moved up from: 143,626 to: 141,589 (78,462)

www.Education4Skills.com moved up from: 156,504 to: 151,269 (150,120)

www.HealthProductsSite.com moved up from: 149,290 to: 146,656 (105,672)

www.HealthArticleBank.com moved up from: 212,731 to: 170,208*

* indicates a new highest high
( ) indicates highest high to date

Well, at least I am pausing with a positive update. Stay well...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home